Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Just Another Random Thought

Well friends, I’ve been saying for a while now that it’s time for a new computer. My first generation MacBook and Acer Aspire 5580 is all I have, and now that both batteries is so gone I can only run it plugged in, the fans are so loud it makes hearing YouTube videos difficult, and I have to use it propped up on aluminum cupcake trays to keep it from overheating, it’s time I make the switch and save these bad boys for traveling. Oh, how I love going through airport security with freaking cupcake trays in my bag.

I will say, as a sidenote, that I have to give huge props to Blackberry. It’s not such a random thing to say. Before the Blackberry, I would’ve never considered getting a desktop. But ever since I got that little destroyer of bus and mrt boredom, I can honestly say it’s taken up 90% of the reason why I’d need a laptop. As I said, big trips, I’ll need something more, but the Blackberry? — heck, smart phones in general…they rule.

It’s such a shame we have to mine gaping pits in pristine forests for their sweet precious lithium, gold, unobtanium, and whatever else they need to run. YOU CALL THIS PROGRESS?!?!?

Anyway. As I’ve said time and time again, I’ve been a Windows guy nearly all my life. Save for my torrid love affair with sink-sub as a teenager, Microsoft has been my company of choice. Even now, I look at it in 360 as a supplier of electro-joy. I personally, don’t have that many grudges against them. No more than I do, say, Linux or Mac or even Starbucks. I can frown at some of their business practices but in the end they provide me with more mirth than murder.

STOP! I just thought of the best band name. Mirth For Murder. Is it taken? Please tell me it’s not taken.

As I was saying, I actually like Windows. But…

When I first got my MacBook, and really gave Apple a chance with OS X, I finally saw what all the fuss was about. The sheer fact that you don’t get errors every time you try to do something, how you don’t have to run a million ad-blocking and virus-smashing programs in the background, how everything is slick and shiny and smooth and just…works. It was really something else.

After some time, however, it’s got me thinking…I was on Apple’s site just a half hour ago and I said to my cat, Chi-Chi, I said, “Man, I could get an amazing PC for the same price they’re charging for these Mac's.” Pretending she replied, “Yeah, but it’s Windows! Don’t do that!” Granted, she’s a dumb cat and doesn’t know what the hell she’s talking about and if she ever backtalks me again I’ll put her in a damn cage, in SPCA. in BUT, I said this, “Come on. Windows isn’t so bad. I actually don’t mind it at all.” And it’s true. I don’t. But, the last iteration of Windows I used was XP. Is Windows 7 the jams or is it the hams?

SECOND BAND NAME! Jams For Hams. And they said all the good band names were taken. Pfff…

Kidding aside, I would be getting a new computer mainly to just have a nice piece of hardware for all my creative endeavors, photography post processing coming in first. More space, an actual keyboard and not this wrist-breaking hot-as-sin metal shard I have to use now, a nicer monitor and most certainly a shit-ton more power. You know, a proper desktop. One that I can have on a desk and say to people as they enter my room, “That over there? That’s my workstation.” I’m thinking, ok, I’ve learned my way about OS X for the past few years…I could stick with it, and pay a lot of money for a computer that can pretty much do anything I’ll ever want in the near future except play games. Or, I could give Windows another chance, pay the same amount for a computer that’s even better than that Mac and, get this, do proper PP's, go on-line or no.

Dammit, I don’t know. It sounds like I laid it out for myself, but I have to stress how carefree using Apple’s OS has been. It’s like, literally a whole new world…but, what I’d get for the same price is staggering if I look to a Windows machine. Not to mention that it’s almost counter-culture to get a PC; it’s almost the cool thing to do now, and it could be making a comeback, much like…the 90s. Think of the cool points I’d get when people come over to my house and can’t find the “apple key” on my new keyboard. I’ll say, “Where we’re going, we don’t need keys…”

But we do. Either way, we need keys, let’s not get crazy.

So I’m reaching out to anyone who reads this. What do you have? What do you recommend? Is it kind of crazy to have two computers with different operating systems? Are all the conveniences of a Mac now found on the latest Windows machines? Can you make Macs and PCs talk to each other now (I’m still going to use my MacBook, after all)? Help! Comment!

Then, let’s start a band. My job in the band is to come up with our name. and please oh dear Lord, grant me the wisdom to get out of this financial slum I'm into now."

No comments:

Post a Comment