Tuesday, June 14, 2011

What If?

Hi there people! Its been a while since I last posted an entry here coz I've been away for some Rn'R in The Philippines. And talking about my beloved country, we just celebrated our Independence Day yesterday. Well yea, I posted it on my Facebook, that it doesn't seem real or I'm really not feeling the independence or freedom that we Filipino's are celebrating.. So not to brag about it and frustrate myself more, I decided to write something off the hook of my "subversive thinking" and yea, this is my post-Independence Day post :D

WHAT IF? ...we were still an American colony in 2011? Let me humor you with what we could have been had if The Philippines did not won its independence in 1946;

Several months ago, Senator Bongbong Marcos made a highly debatable statement: " if my father (then former Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos) was not exiled, the Philippines could be a Singapore now." Or something to that effect. Taking his cue, can we boldly declare: " if the Philippines remained an American colony, the country could be a Hawaii or Puerto Rico or a Guam right now? " How would our lives be different?

OUR FAUX AMERICAN ACCENTS WOULD BE JUSTIFIED
You wouldn't have to work in a call center or to be a DJ to spot a heavy drawl or twang. When people ask, "You talk like you're from the US, where you from? Well, if it was me, i can answer proudly, "I'm from the coffee state of Batangas, biatch!"

OUR SARI-SARI STORES WOULD HAVE MORE PX GOODS
I love Chocnut, but it would be nice to have a broader variety of junkfood at our disposal. Sari-sari stores would carry American items as Twinkies, Mars, Baby Ruth, Jelly Beans, fresh milk in a tetra pack and Budweiser beer :D

WE WOULD'NT NEED A U.S. VISA
Or need to line up at most embassies, for that matter. We would enjoy the same " no visa policy" that most of the world enjoys - -except from China and other countries that are'nt too crazy about them Yankees. Japan, Europe and the rest of North America would welcome us without that condescending look as if we're coming to take away their jobs. We would rightfully say, " I'm here to spend money, so stamp my passport and get our of my freakin' way!"

AMERICAN IDOL WOULD BE DOMINATED BY PINOYS
Ryan Seacrest would learn to speak Tagalog or Chabacano - after all, the top 24 would all be Filipino's belting out songs like Aint No Mountain High Enough, Umbrella, Easy Like Sunday Morning and Anak. And there would finally be an American Idol of Pinoy descent \0/

STREET KIDS WOULD WEAR REFLECTORIZED VEST
In true enterprising Pinoy fashion, they would still peddle their wares on EDSA, but at least they would be dressed appropriately to keep them from being run-over :D

AMUSEMENT PARKS WOULD BE SCARY FOR THE RIGHT REASONS
We would be thrilled with huge drops and scream-inducing speed not worrying about getting tetanus from rusty metal or whether the ride passed the safety inspection.

WE WOULD GET SOME OF THAT OBAMA BAILOUT MONEY
We would cry like those on Wall Street and get a piece of the stimulus package pie =)

Truth is, we'll never know for sure. We are where we are for a good reason; what it is, i still don't know. What's clear is we gotta love the Philippines , for better or for worse. :D

have a blessed week y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment