Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Best Job In The World!

I was a little suspicious about the job description: full-time position, no academic qualifications or experience required. The only deal breaker: You cannot quit.

I filed my application anyway.

Late-last year my wife informed me that the pregnancy test confirmed she was pregnant. I was definitely hired and was expecting my second child in June. It did not take long for me to realize that i was mere clueless about what was to come. Given that i already have an 11 year old son, I never have an in-depth real-time experience being a full-time Dad coz there was household help (my mom, in-laws and so-forth) raising my first child. I decided to embark on a "skills upgrading program" that equipped me with theory and practical skills to take on the job. Actually me and my wife did it together, by browsing thru the internet learning about baby care tips and stuffs on-line. Parenting is a shared responsibility and it starts before the birth itself.

I invited myself at every step of the way- from the selection of the OB-Gyn and the hospital to the OB visits, from pre-natal course to the emotional moment of the delivery. Because non of this is mandatory, it is very easy for dads-to-be to skip all these events. But for me, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity and it proved to be a rewarding process.



My experience with my eldest son are really useful for practical reasons. It thought me how to handle, burp, bathe and clean my baby. on the other hand, the OB sessions are great opportunities to clarify your doubts. And then, there are also magical moments like hearing your child's heartbeat and seeing his picture via ultrasound scan for the first time.

Yes, we were all alone in this wonderful journey as its just me and my wife here in Singapore. I think she was grateful that we went through this experience as a team and that I was able to support her in a more meaningful way by doing my share of chores related to the care of the baby..well, almost ;)

I recall one conversation I had with our good friend Ma.Janet Geneblazo Buelo telling me " you know what, in my lifetime up to this age, I've never seen a man or father bathing a baby, you are the first one." I told myself, whoa! that's the best comment/compliment I ever got from someone and it feels so super-dooper-ultra-mega-to-the-max-awesome!

Things that change when you have a baby:



You find that your baby's pain feels much worse than your own. You become a morning person. You'd rather buy a toy for your kid than gadgets and cool guy stuffs that you've been dying to have. You rather stay at home on your free-time and just laze and play in bed with your little one. You rather sing along with Barney instead of hanging out with your drinking buddies. Watch Sesame Street videos on YouTube of Elmo, Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, instead of playing on-line games. You no longer rely on a clock, your baby now sets your schedule. You can have the most wonderful conversation using only vowel sounds like "ah" and "wooh" ..And the best part is, no matter how tired you are from work, it all goes away when you reach home.



Juan Miguel, my youngest is now 4 going 5months old. He has grown to be a very active and healthy infant. The road ahead is full of important milestones: his first birthday, his first giggle, his first steps, his first day at school and so on..

Being his father, I'am very excited by the prospect of accompanying him on that rocky road that is life. As a side note, for Dads who complain that babies do not come with instruction manuals, there apparently is one; its tucked within your heart. You just have to look for it and put it into actions with passion, dedication and love. Taking a step and looking back, I can affirm it loud and clear: " I love this Job." Every time my little Miggy gives me his uber-cutie smiles, and seeing my eldest son Paulo growing up to be a fine young man, I feel like I have the best job in the world, and that is being their Dad! \0/



to Victor Paulo and Juan Miguel; " Daddy love's you both oh so very much."

2 comments: